One of the three allegations of rape against a Premier League footballer has been dropped by Scotland Yard.
The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, also had his bail arrangements extended until October as a result of the development.
Telegraph Sport revealed three weeks ago how additional allegations had been brought by a second woman.
He has been originally arrested in the early hours of July 4 over an alleged rape which had been said to have taken place last month. However, police have now no-further-actioned one of two allegations brought by the second woman who came forward while he was already under arrest.
“On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police,” the Met Police said in a statement. “It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody. While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.
“No further action will be taken in relation to the offense in June 2021 but the investigation into the remaining offenses is ongoing. The man was initially bailed until a date in August but his bail has since been extended to a date in early October.”
The club is aware the player is being questioned but he continues to play with the squad. The player is set to feature when the Premier League season begins in August, despite concern expressed from MPs and campaigners. The player is also due to play at the World Cup in Qatar this November.