Newcastle and Everton sign up interest in Chelsea striker as West Ham turn to Scamacca

Newcastle and Everton are understood to be back on Armando Broja watch after West Ham dropped their interest in the Chelsea striker.

Broja flew home from Chelsea’s US tour with an injury last week as Thomas Tuchel suggested that the player would stay at Stamford Bridge.

But Yo understands Newcastle’s interest in Broja is ongoing and a loan offer may yet appeal to Chelsea, who don’t want to give up on the Albania striker but are struggling to find a role for him in their forward line.

The Magpies are actively searching in the loan market now as they continue to hope to make a further transfer breakthrough before their Premier League opener against Nottingham Forest on Saturday 6 August.

More from Football

For his part, Broja is understood to want to regulate football and is fully aware that there is interest in him beyond the West Ham offer – which remained on the table until the club agreed to a £30.5m deal with Sassuolo for towering Italy forward Gianluca Scamacca last week.

Everton, too, are ready to progress discussions with Chelsea on Broja as they look to unlock their own frustration in the summer transfer window. Frank Lampard wants three more players after signing James Tarkowski and they also have an interest in Billy Gilmour, the Scotland and Chelsea midfielder.

Ace Yo Revealed last week, the mid-market for strikers is proving a difficult one for clubs attempting to lure similar players and Newcastle’s situation has been complicated by selling clubs applying a so-called ‘Newcastle premium’ to their valuations.

The Magpies are attempting to structure deals to work within their budget. A document lodged at Companies House revealed the club have paid as little as £3m up front for England goalkeeper Nick Pope, with Burnley accepting three further payments of £2.33m over the next three years.

Agents are also yet to realize the parameters of Newcastle’s project and some of the players offered to the hierarchy have not been aligned with the sort of characteristics that the club is actively scouting. They are looking for younger, up-and-coming players and have a budget to bring in players with an eye on boosting their under-23 set-up and creating a pathway to the first team.

Newcastle believe some of the fees quoted have been unrealistic. They have been told to double their initial offer for Leeds winger Jack Harrison, who is valued at £35m by the Elland Road club.

Offers for Everton’s Anthony Gordon and Dominic Calvert-Lewin have run into trouble while Brentford would want more than £40m for Ivan Toney, who is another player who has been of interest.

It may force Newcastle abroad, with the club having asked about Rennes’ Ghana international Kamaldeen Sulemana and RB Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko, who scored in their Bundesliga opener against Austria Vienna on Friday.

More on Newcastle United F.C.

They have also scouted highly-rated forward Amine Gouiri of Nice, but he is understood to be a longer-term target for the Magpies.

Newcastle’s struggles to bring in forward players mean that a clutch of Championship clubs are set to be disappointed in their attempts to sign the talented Elliot Anderson.

sources told Yo that ‘half the Championship’ have made approaches to the Magpies about Anderson, who has figured prominently in Newcastle’s pre-season programme. But he is currently set to stay at St James’ Park and may be in contention for the start of the Premier League season on August 6.

He scored in a pre-season ‘training session’ friendly against Burnley in Portugal. The Magpies take on Benfica in their next friendly ahead of their season opener.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *