F1 news LIVE: Lewis Hamilton finds ‘hope’ and Carlos Sainz makes bold Ferrari claim

F1 Canadian Grand Prix 2022 – Return to Gilles’ backyard

Max Verstappen held off a late challenge from Carlos Sainz to take victory at the Canadian Grand Prix and further extend his championship lead. With Formula One returning to Montreal for the first time in three years, it was the Red Bull of Verstappen which took the checkered flag to move 46 points clear at the top of the standings. Sainz was fast in the closing stages following a period behind the safety car but could not find a way past Verstappen and had to settle for second place, the pair joined on the podium by Lewis Hamilton – the seven-time world champion taking third for Mercedes .

“The safety car didn’t help,” Verstappen said. “Overall Ferrari were really quick in the race. It was really exciting at the end. I was giving it everything I had, and I could see Carlos was doing the same. The last few lapses were a lot of fun. Luckily this year we are quick on the straights so that helps a lot.” Hamilton’s team-mate George Russell continued his record of top-five finishes all season as he took fourth ahead of Charles Leclerc, who recovered from starting 19th to claim a decent haul of points for Ferrari. The Alpines were sixth and seventh, Esteban Ocon managing to finish ahead of Fernando Alonso, while Valtteri Bottas, Guanyu Zhou and local favorite Lance Stroll rounded out the points.

Follow all the latest F1 news and reaction from a thrilling Canadian Grand Prix below:

1655712843

Hamilton given ‘hope’ after podium finish in Canada

Lewis Hamilton says his third place finish at the Canadian Grand Prix has given him hope that Mercedes can return to competitiveness this year.

The seven-time champion had not scored a podium since the first race of the season in Bahrain but his result in Montreal ended a run of difficult races.

Hamilton has repeatedly been out-driven by teammate George Russell this season but a decision to switch to soft tires in qualifying ultimately worked against the 24-year-old this weekend giving Hamilton the edge in the race by starting four places ahead his teammate.

Russell has finished in the top five of every race this season including Canada where he came from eighth in qualifying to end just behind Hamilton in fourth. His highly impressive form of him this season has led to questions about Hamilton’s future in F1 but it remains to be seen who will prove the faster driver by the end of the year.

“It has given me a lot of hope there is more to come from this car, that the potential is truly there if we can get the set-up right,” Hamilton said. “We are just trying to progress as a team,

“Moving forwards, we will be a little more cautious on doing too many experiments as it really does hinder you through the weekend, especially if you only have first and second practice in the dry.

“There are lots of learnings from this weekend and improvements we can make going forwards but really great pace today. It is so nice to see. That has not always been the case with this car.”

(Getty Images)

Michael JonesJune 20, 2022 09:14

1655712373

Max Verstappen dramatically holds off Carlos Sainz to win Canadian Grand Prix and boost championship lead

Sainz was fast in the closing stages following a period behind the safety car but could not find a way past Verstappen and had to settle for second place. The pair joined on the podium by Lewis Hamilton – the seven-time world champion taking third for Mercedes.

His teammate George Russell continued his record of top-five finishes all season as he took fourth ahead of Charles Leclerc, who recovered from starting 19th to claim a decent haul of points for Ferrari.

Michael JonesJune 20, 2022 09:06

1655711928

George Russell on porpoising

George Russell has said the issue of porpoising – the car bouncing heavily at speed – remains a serious concern for Mercedes despite their improved showing in Canada.

“It was bumpy, it was definitely bumpy out there,” he told Sky F1. “We weren’t porpoising, we were just bouncing around a lot down the straight and just hitting the ground. So it’ll be a good sleep tonight again for sure.”

(AFP via Getty Images)

Lawrence OstlereJune 20, 2022 08:58

1655711560

Lewis Hamilton ‘overwhelmed’ to finish on the podium at Canadian Grand Prix

The seven-time world champion has struggled with his Mercedes this season and only just made it to Montreal.

The design of this year’s cars has led to some teams suffering from bouncing – known as porpoising – at high speeds, with Mercedes among the worst.

Hamilton needed assistance to get out of his car following the Azerbaijan Grand Prix a week ago and required acupuncture and cryotherapy on his back to make it to the grid.

The 37-year-old qualified fourth in the Montreal rain on Saturday and went one better in the race, claiming the 184th podium of his career but just his second of a difficult 2022.

jack ratbornJune 20, 2022 08:52

1655710116

Carlos Sainz maintains Ferrari ‘faster’ than Red Bull in Canada despite loss

“This weekend I was quicker for the first time – I want to say all season, but for the first time in the championship,” Carlos Sainz said after the Canadian Grand Prix.

“I’ve been the fastest guy on track, both in the medium and on the hard. I was catching Max in both occasions and I felt comfortable with the car.

“I was all over the place, close to [the] walls, you know, with confidence – ragging it, and I felt comfortable out there so it’s a pity not to have got the first win.”

jack ratbornJune 20, 2022 08:28

1655675941

Silverstone up next for British Grand Prix

Next time out Formula 1 is back in the UK as the sport heads to Silverstone in front of what is expected to be another record crowd.

Will Red Bull take a seventh consecutive win, meaning Max Verstappen can extend his championship lead? Can Charles Leclerc claw back some ground after taking his engine penalties in Canada? Or could Lewis Hamilton spring a surprise with a rejuvenated Mercedes and take his first victory of the season on home soil?

Make sure to keep your eyes on The Independent’s F1 coverage across the next fortnight in anticipation of another huge race.

Dan AustinJune 19, 2022 22:59

1655675041

Constructors’ standings after Red Bull win Canadian Grand Prix

Here are the current constructors’ standings after Red Bull won their sixth successive race at the Canadian Grand Prix.

Dan AustinJune 19, 2022 22:44

1655674191

Drivers standings after Verstappen wins Canadian Grand Prix

Here are the current drivers’ standings after Max Verstappen won the Canadian Grand Prix.

13) Daniel Ricciardo – 15

14) Sebastian Vettel – 13

Dan AustinJune 19, 2022 22:29

1655673721

Verstappen admits Ferrari were faster than Red Bull in Canada

Max Verstappen has admitted that Ferrari were faster than Red Bull in the Canadian Grand Prix.

The world champion had to hold off a late challenge from Carlos Sainz in the final fifteen laps to take victory, extending his championship lead to 46 points.

“In general it was quite a tough race for us,” he told Sky Sports F1. “I was hoping for some more pace from the car but the Ferrari seemed quite fast in the race. It was tough to match Carlos on laptimes. Those last fifteen laps were flat out and I knew I could not afford to make a mistake because he was so close to me. I think [they were faster] today, absolutely. So we have to figure that out. One race we have the advantage, then they look quick again, so we are very closely matched.

“It’s very important to always have a good lead points but you also know it can swing around very quickly. There are always things to do better.”

Dan AustinJune 19, 2022 22:22

1655673291

Sainz says Ferrari did everything to challenge Verstappen for win

Carlos Sainz insists that Ferrari did everything they could in order to challenge Max Verstappen in Canada this evening, but says the first F1 win which continues to elude was just too far out of reach in the end.

“In the end I didn’t leave anything on the table out there,” Sainz told Sky Sports F1. “I want my first win very much so you can imagine how much I was pushing. I was the fastest guy on track today and I was giving it everything out there. We had enough ace but not enough pace delta to pass the Red Bull. With the tail wind it was very difficult to overtake today. I know I gave my maximum.

“I think without the safety car I could hang it out. Max was catching me but not at a pace that was going to pass me easily at the end of the race. But there was a safety car and we had to take it. As a team we executed a good race. This weekend for the first time in the championship I have been the fastest guy on track. On the medium and hard I was catching Max. I was close to the walls with confidence, ragging it and I felt comfortable out there.

Dan AustinJune 19, 2022 22:14